We're here to send your tastebuds on the Italian vacation you've been craving all summer! Celebrate National Sandwich Month with our antipasto sandwich and say ciao to another boring lunch 🇮🇹🥪✈️
what you need:
1 loaf ciabatta bread, halved lengthwise
1 eggplant, sliced into 1/2” rounds
1 red onion, sliced 1/4” rings
3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
½ cup oil packed sun-dried tomatoes, oil drained and chopped
1 cup arugula
½ cup vegan pesto (we love the one from Gotham Greens)
Seeductive Foods Olive & Black Garlic cheese alternative
Lemonhow to make it:
- Preheat oven to 425° F. Season the eggplant with salt on both sides and let sit for 5 to 10 minutes while you prepare the other ingredients. Pat the eggplant dry.
- Mix balsamic vinegar and olive oil in a dish. Arrange eggplant and onion on a parchment baking sheet (use two sheets if needed). Brush vinegar-oil mixture across top of the vegetables. Roast for about 10 minutes. Turn slices over, brush with oil mixture and roast for another 8 minutes or so.
- Lay the bread cut side up on a clean work surface. Working with the top piece of the loaf, pull out some of the insides to create a space for the filling. Brush the cut sides with some of the olive oil and season with salt to taste. Toast until golden and crispy, 3-4 minutes.
- Working with the top piece of the loaf, spread the cut-side with pesto. Repeat with Olive & Black Garlic cheese on the remaining piece.
- Layer on the sun-dried tomatoes, eggplant, and onion on the bottom half of the roll. Sprinkle the arugula over top. Squeeze lemon over the arugula, then sprinkle with black pepper. Add the top half of the ciabatta and gently push down on the sandwich.
- Slice and enjoy!