A last hurrah to summer with this shockingly easy and delicious Vegan Zucchini Involtini. Pair Seeductive Foods Garlic & Herb cheese alternative with those end-of-summer zucchini and a jar of your favorite tomato sauce. Yeah, it’s that easy. Tag us when you make it!
what you need:
1 wheel Seeductive Foods Garlic & Herb cheese alternative
2 large zucchini (or 3 medium)
2 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
Freshly-ground black pepper
1 - 1 1/2 cups favorite tomato sauce
Chopped fresh herbs like basil and parsley
how to make it:
- Slice your zucchini vertically in 1/4 inch thick cuts - you’ll need 10 total slices. Drizzle with olive oil and season with kosher salt and freshly-ground black pepper. Either grill the slices or roast them in a 400°F oven on parchment-lined baking sheet for about 15 minutes. Place cooked zucchini onto a sheet pan or cutting board for assembly.
- Pour tomato sauce into a baking dish and set aside.
- Slice your @seeductivefoods cheese round into 10 pieces. (Easiest to cut in half, then cut each half into five pieces.)
- Take each “cheese” wedge and using your fingers, shape it into a small square about the width of your zucchini slices (about 1.5 inches)
- Place each square at one end of each of the zucchini slices. Roll the slice into a tight coil and place it seam-side down in the dish on top of the tomato sauce. Drizzle lightly with olive oil. Season lightly with salt and pepper. Transfer to the oven and bake until the sauce has reduced slightly and is bubbling, and the rolls are lightly golden on top, 20 to 25 minutes. If the rolls are still not golden after the 25 minutes, remove the pan from the oven and preheat the broiler. Broil the involtini for about 3 minutes keeping a close watch the entire time.
- Top with fresh herbs and another drizzle of olive oil, if desired.
*Make Ahead! The dish can be assembled ahead of time and stashed in the fridge until you are ready to bake it.